Kansas has two buildings identified as Constitution Hall. The Lecompton Constitution Hall was where the proslavery 1957 territorial legislative assembly met and drafted a Kansas constitution that protected slavery. This was in January and by October of 1857, antislavery settlers gained control of the territorial legislature and the proslave constitution never took effect. Free State supporters then started meeting in Lecompton and started passing laws according to their beliefs.
In 1855 the freestate settlers built a Constitution Hall in Topeka. They drafted an anti-slave constitution, but a southern controlled U.S. Congress could not get enough votes for approval. Parts of this constitution were drafted into the final Kansas constitution in 1861. In 1856, U.S. troops were ordered to disperse the free state state government meeting in the Topeka Constitution Hall. The Free State governor and nearly 100 other free staters, under arrest for treason, were imprisoned outside of Lecompton. The Topeka Constitution Hall became a supply depot for free state forces. After the Missouri/Kansas border war ended, Constitution Hall became a supply depot for the Underground Railroad. Joseph Miller
was a Kansas settler who was the quartermaster for supplies during the Border War and then for the Underground Railroad.